Friday, December 10, 2010

Still Art-ing (Result)!

"Be Fearless"
8 x 10 Canvas Panel
Wire accents & Swarovski crystals on wallpaper background

She's finished: I may not have my Christmas cards out yet, but hey, this is complete (and was much more fun to do!) . . . This little tightrope walker was inspired by the work we did in Willowing's class while at the same time (hopefully) being representative of me and the materials I like to work with . . .

"Be Fearless" was created on an 8 x 10 canvas panel covered in decorative wallpaper. I roughed it up a bit with sandpaper before adding water-soulble oil pastels, silver glitter and stamped stars (with gold ink) for depth. The figure of the girl was first created on cold pressed watercolor paper using acrylic, water-soluble crayons and glitter gel pens before being cut out and added to the background. The tightrope was made from a piece of wire which was tied to the canvas through punched holes and brads. I added both iridescent Swarovski beads to the wire and flatback crystals (in a deep purple) to the background. Final touches include a crown made from the scraps of the original painting and the words, "Be Fearless" stamped with gold ink (and enhanced with gold gel pen) on the bottom.

Thanks for looking! Now, onto those Christmas cards . . . xo

11 comments:

E Makes Art said...

This is fantastic! I love that she's a tight rope walker! Fearless indeed! And yes, it is definitely still "Kristin"! My favorite part is the wire with bling!!!

xoTG ; )

Louise said...

How wonderful to be fearless! I like the way she has lost her crown, but that doesn't stop her. And I think the wallpaper background is just great.

JessiVille said...

OMG, I LOVE her! Wow Kristin, she is fantastic - she loses her crown and still keeps dancing the tightrope. Love the high wire bling and background too. An awesome job! BTY, Stampington & Co. has the glitter - the vintage one has doubled in price but they have another kind to try now too.

Amy said...

oooh, she's glorious Kristin..I love her..cool beads..cool crown! Love her blonde hair...she's got lots of courage to be up on that tight rope..I know I have fears..

Great art..always and forever!!

Mandy said...

just adorable...xxx just a quick pop in...so busy as you can imagine...lol..oh...this is definitely your work!!!xxx

Carin said...

This is fantastic Kristin! Love all the little details, including the feet that in the shape of a heart (intentional or not). All so so very wonderful! Now go write those cards....

Unknown said...

oh wow!!! what a cool tightrope!!! I love this cute character too Kristin!!! wonderful work!!!

em.me.ma said...

what an artist. i'm always so inspired by everyones unique style! I LOVE the wire accent ;)

Creatively Lisa said...

Kristin...well I quit willowing's class so I haven'm been around there much....This came out so precious. I love her and I totally get the tightrope thing. I really got overwhelmed at work and have been totally non creative. I applaud your for continuing. I really love this piece.

Lisa said...

She is lovely and all you. Gorgeous.

(And yeah, my unfinished cards are sitting by the computer as I type. Here's hoping we both finish soon!)

Unknown said...

Beautiful painting. The background is especially cool, and I LOVE the way you do eyes. Very distinctive, very Kristin.