Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Monday's Child

Vintage Children's postcard from the 1930's
Image from Flicker, provided by Monday's Child


I got my Dolly when the leaves were falling
It was the end of September, you know
When this tiny gift was presented to me
To teach my heart to grow.

She was small and bright
And as I held her tight, 
I whispered into her ear:

"Don't worry, baby, I'll be your Mommy
I will love and protect you here
I will dress you and feed you and kiss you and need you
And in my heart, you will always be near."

The seasons changed
But my vow was the same
And as we grew together fast,
I remembered the day when she came to me
And I was a Mommy at last:

"Don't worry, baby, I am your Mommy
I will love and protect you here
I will dress you and feed you and kiss you and need you
And in my heart, you will always be near."

And now, look at her!
My darling little girl,
Tiny fingers holding on tight
A baby for Dolly, just presented to her
On her fifth birthday, tonight.

I watch them together and lean in close
As she rocks her baby with care
A small, sweet voice repeating with pride
The words I had hoped to hear:

"Don't worry, baby, I'll be your Mommy
I will love and protect you here
I will dress you and feed you and kiss you and need you
And in my heart, you will always be near."

-KVV


The above was written for Monday's Child, a weekly challenge site which encourages those who are interested to write a children's story, poem or verse in response to a vintage image. To see other's interpretation of the same picture, please check out the link above. 

Kristin xo

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Lovely!

I'd really love to talk to you, I've got this idea (which is probably insane) bouncing around in my head. What's the best way to reach you?

xo!

Teresa aka Tess said...

Oh my gosh...this NEEDS to be put to music. I love it!!!

brandi said...

~kristin...you almost brought tears to my eyes...your words always capture the pure essence and beauty of a child...you fill my heart with great joy...constantly reminding me of my childhood and yet also reiterating to soak up all i can with mine...a book i shout a book! i would be the first in line!! warm wishes and brightest blessings~

signed...bkm said...

Kristin, ditto on faerwillow - i could feel the tears in my eyes starting to come...beautiful interperation of the this picture... so glad you are back..and glad i am back too.... blessings...bkm

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

impressive ways to interpret the prompt..
well done!

Nicola said...

Wow I didn't realise you were a writer too, this is lovely sooo sooo sweet!!!

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mandy said...

this is beautiful...it did make me cry...i wa such a baby doll child...all i ever wanted was to have 100 children...this made me cry with joy...you are pure talent ...don't eer stop what you do...its magic...xxx

Kristin said...

Thank you for your number Michelle! Let's talk soon! xo

Unknown said...

that is just the sweetest and I get the feeling that you are talking to your daughter....I love it.

Bing Yap said...

what a loving post, kristin... this really touched my heart. mommies do write the best children's verses and poems! {{{hugsss}}}

thanks for the nice comment in my blog.