Sunday, August 1, 2010

MMM: Past Loves

"Fresh"
Altered gum packet
Exterior cover
Moo card tucked inside

This week's Mixed Media Monday prompt, Past Loves, challenges us to revisit a technique, medium or color combination that we used to love working with. Well, I miss working with paper! I used to use it all the time: decorative paper, card stock, and even wallpaper were staples in my art wardrobe. Although I still use various papers in my work these days, I will inevitably alter it in some way. What used to be the basis of a piece is now often tucked away somewhere, layered in charcoal and paint. So I decided to keep it simple this week and use a single piece of wallpaper as a backdrop for the central figure from my blog header. I'm headed to Art Unraveled Tuesday, and will be offering these packets of gum to those I meet while there. 

In order to create the altered packet, I first created an 8 1/2 x 11 page from wallpaper, my blog image (illustrated by Jessie Willcox Smith, 1863 - 1935), an outline of colored pencil and (yes, some) charcoal. It was washed in a coat of matte medium before being taken to the printers. The printer was able to resize the image and print out several copies on good quality paper. I then just cut and trimmed it to fit the size and shape of the gum. Final touches were a single Swarovski crystal on the cover, a repositionable glue dot to open and close it and my Moo card tucked inside.

By the way, if you haven't done so already, I encourage you to enter my Blogiversary giveaway that can be found in the post below. I have offered some damask wallpapers that are similar to what you see here.  Also, if you are going to Art Unraveled this week, please let me know. I would love to meet you in person, and you already know that I'll have plenty of gum to offer . . .

Kristin xo

22 comments:

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh Kristin,
This is so cute!!! I love it! I guess none of us are talking about old boyfriends, but that was the first thing that came to my mind...lol
I guess I'll save that for another project...sending hugs,
Cin
xoxxo

Gayle Page-Robak said...

This is wonderful, Kristin. Loved seeing your paper art. Beautiful!

Jenny said...

Beautiful Kristin...love that image and great idea to pop in your moo card...what a wonderful meet and greet...have a fabulous time on Tuesday..

Jenny

peggy gatto said...

fabulous!!!

Lori Saul said...

Oh gorgeous Kristin - wonderful paper art with such creativity - wow!

Nan said...

What a good idea...great giveaway. I like your blog header as the business card. Have fun at Art Unraveled !

Crafty Mom said...

I love the piece and what a great idea to handout to people you meet at the retreat!

joanna said...

You always come up with the most unique ideas Kristin!! I love that image!! Just beautiful!
xoxo

K J D said...

So sweet, Kristin. Must be the cutest gum packet ever!!!

Have fun at Art Unraveled.... I've not heard of it but it sounds like fun!!! Have a lovely day!

Karenx

Rosie said...

Kristin that's adorable!! What a gorgeous piece opf wallpaper... I'm definitely entering your blogoversary!! Congrats by the way!!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

your paper arts are delicate,
enjoyed them very much!
;)

scrapwordsmom said...

Your interview is up today!!!

This is a beautiful project, Kristin:)

WrightStuff said...

Well, if it's full of these types of wonders, then I definitely want a rummage in your art wardrobe!!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Fantastic idea, wonderful pieces of art.

Mandy said...

cute as...just adore that image...xxx

Unknown said...

Oh Kristin, I wish I was going!!!!! it would be so fun to meet you...
I would have never guessed that was a gum container.....awesome! I love paper and fabric....and everything else too.....

Bing Yap said...

this is really beautiful! maybe i should give this a try... i was never really "crafty" but this sounded easy. thanks for sharing.

ALTERED ARTIFACTS said...

Love it and what a special giveaway...I am sure all the recipients will love it!
Inka :)

Viv said...

Great project

Kris Dickinson said...

How adorable is this!

Diane said...

Beautiful, Kristin! Diane

Amy said...

omg, what a sweet treat and my soooo favorite treat at that..I'm a gum-aholic!!! I chew gum til my jaws hurt-LOL..not kidding.
Anyhoo, have a super blast at your art getaway! WOW..so lucky you are.
Such sweetness of you to offer these lovely deco treats to your new art friends. I love design!