Sunday, August 29, 2010

MMM: Cool It Down

"I exist."
7 x 5 Altered Tin

I decided to try my hand at a white palette when prompted to Cool It Down this week for Mixed Media Monday. I was thrilled to find a few pieces of old and rusted decorative tin recently (once used for ceiling tiles and molding), and thought it may be interesting to pair it with a vintage cabinet card.

This piece was very simply created by first cutting a piece of molding to the desired size and shape with tin snips before adhering a small piece of wood (which was first painted white and distressed with charcoal) to the front for a secure base. The vintage picture is so beautiful on it's own, that after playing with various pieces of empheria and college materials to add to the piece, I finally just pushed them all aside so that it may stand alone. The only other addition is a simple statement taken from a vintage book. It reads, "I exist." 

Thank you for your visit: I look forward to seeing what everyone else does this week  . . .

25 comments:

Lori Saul said...

Beautiful mixed media piece and presented so well- lovely cool colors!

SHAWN said...

This is profound to me. Brilliant!

indybev said...

Great piece. Stunning in its simplicity. The words "I exist" make it. Beautiful!

peggy gatto said...

really very effective!!!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Fantastic idea, great work.

johanna said...

so totally impressive!!

K J D said...

Wonderful.... it looks 'so right' with just the words you have used. It's simplicity is striking.

Rosie said...

You were right Kristin - it's simply perfect on its own!

WrightStuff said...

So strong in its simplicity. That tin is a great find.

Teresa aka Tess said...

You are so correct. The little guy does stand alone. Embellishments may have taken away from the overall statement :I exist". Very thought provoking and moving piece.

joanna said...

Once again a wonderful piece Kristin!! so elegant and vintage! i love it!
xoxo

Amy said...

sweet love..she is gorgoeus..love the simplicity of it..would love it to hang in my home..she's adorable as ever

chrissy said...

kristin...
LOVE this.
how clever are you? i too just added myself to the lovely list of followers and we were "almost" right at the same place for each other...
you were my 120
and i am misses 114
happy days ahead.
xo
c

Sharon McGarry Sams said...

Wonderful vintage piece.

Julia Christie said...

Great vintage feel to both pieces and together they are perfect.

Great job!

Smiles

Anonymous said...

Beautifully created. Such a wistful image and sentiment--perfect for the aged background.

Lisa said...

I love the little face! Perfect sentiment...and I love the texture from the piece. Niiiice!

Unknown said...

oh this is beautiful!!! you always create art that tugs at our heartstrings and that is a special gift Kristin!!!

Cheryl said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M LOVING THIS!! Super darling piece you've made!!!

Rosie said...

Wow, this is a wonderful vintage piece

Teresa aka Tess said...

Hi Krisin, Thank you for the comment you left on my blog. Please tell me more about blending with charcoal. Thanks,
Teresa aka Tess

A Miraculous Meliss said...

Hey Partner :)

It's great to meet you too!! Isn't this so exciting. The possibilities are endless and delicious.

I admire your style. I don't know anything about vintage, but I'm looking forward to learning from you! YAY!

~magick~
Melissa

ALTERED ARTIFACTS said...

Now that is my kinda art! Just an awesome piece!
Inka :)

E Makes Art said...

Hi! I love this (of course!), but what's not to love about rusty metal, right? : ) I love the simplicity of it too. Very nice.

xxEsther

Anonymous said...

beautiful and so very original