Saturday, August 14, 2010

Art Unraveled - Class 4

"Gridlock Wood Collage"
with Karen Michel
(all photos taken with permission from the artist)

My last class at Art Unraveled was with Karen Michel, mixed-media artist, instructor and author of two books: The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery and Green Guide for Artists. It was a wonderful day creating, as she puts it, "a visual conversation within a wood block collage." I loved that we were encouraged to use our own empheria and materials in order to create a piece that spoke to us. It was actually the only workshop I've ever taken where I completed something before leaving class (which is a statement about my slow-poke self, and not the instructors)! I love the results and hope you enjoy a few of my favorite shots from the day . . .

Instructor demonstration
A peek into Karen's supplies
The beginnings of my own wood collage
My finished piece

Thanks for joining me on this journey; I had a wonderful time meeting fellow artists and bloggers while being inspired by some of the best mixed-media instructors around. I encourage you to seek out as many classes as you can as I believe that they are essential to our continued education and development as artists and individuals. . . .

On another note, TODAY is the last day to enter for the Big Blogiversary Giveaway! If you haven't done so already, please feel free to check out the picture on the top of my sidebar for details. And pop by TOMORROW for the party and giveaway results. . . .

Kristin xo

12 comments:

K J D said...

Oh Kristin.... I truly LOVE this! I think it is one my favourite pieces ever. Its just so cute... all the little wooden tiles, individual tiles but so part of a whole story.

Delightful and adorable.

and well done for finishing it on the day!!!!

Going to click on Karen Michel now!

Karenx

peggy gatto said...

Fabulous, really!!!

Carin said...

So cute! What a great way to finish your time there!

Michelle said...

I think this might be my favorite thing you've done this far! xoxo!

Julia Christie said...

Love how unique this is - you obviously were right in your element on this trip! Gosh it sounds like so much fun!

Smiles

Jenny said...

Just lovely Kristin, thanks so much for sharing ... have loved taking this little online journey with you...:)

Jenny x

scrapwordsmom said...

Kristin...what a unique idea...at least to me anyways;) I love it. And that blue you chose as your background is perfect.

I have truly enjoyed these last few posts. Thanks so much for sharing:)

Leslie

Diane said...

I love this--this must have been so fun--the whole experience!

sweet southern inspiration said...

I love this, I want you to show me how to make one. I think it is my favorite!

martha brown said...

It was wonderful meeting you at ArtUnraveled -- it's nice to see what you made in your classes -- it is all wonderful! I've added your blog to my Google Reader so I can keep up with all that you do. Thanks too for your beautiful altered gum trade (gum-- what a great idea) and I'm so happy that you moo card was inside so I could find your blog!

Amy said...

such beautiful'ness. I adore the art class picture's you've taken..I imagine I am there with you..LOL...I love the blue!

E Makes Art said...

ooh...so cool, I want to try this!